Sunday, February 13, 2011

Recap so far!

Well, I've been in Zambia for a day and a half now! I landed at 6:50 yesterday, and spent a long time waiting to get through customs, but once that was done, the fun started! Janet and Jessica picked me up and we headed to the guest house were staying in right now to drop off my bags. Then breakfast, and I caught a not so quick nap in hopes my body would adjust to the time change...I'm closer now but not completely there yet. (Its an 8 hour difference from Memphis.) After I woke up we headed out to see some friends of Janet who live in a community called South Jack. The crazy thing about Lusaka is that downtown, it looks very very western--there's even a new mall WITH AN ESCALATOR! haha, but once you get just out of downtown..its a completely different world. There's just really no middle class here. The upper-business class lives and works downtown, and the rest are in deep poverty. Its heartbreaking. Anyyyway, South Jack is one of these small communities outside of the city. We visited with them for a few hours and I had a great time meeting their family. After that, Janet decided I needed time to rest again so we fixed dinner at the house, and I was in bed by 8:30. I slept awesome until 2:30..then I was wide awake. I meant that's dinner time in Memphis!! I finally fell asleep a couple of hours later, and woke up in time to get ready for church this morning.

The church service was incredible!! We went out to another community called Kanyama to attend service and deliver food. When I get back to the states, I'll add some pictures and videos of the service and that community. It was so awesome!! Now we're at lunch just hanging out. Any post I get up while I'm here won't be too detailed, but I'll for sure give some more stories when I get back! So for now..just day to day happenings in Lusaka. Can't wait to see what's next!

2 comments:

  1. im so glad you made it safely and are loving it so far! we had all area club tonight and kellie and i ate at los comales and we missed you! you are in my prayers and i am so so excited for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops, i didnt realize i was signed in under bens account. haha. obviously, this is jess.

    ReplyDelete